Friday, June 29, 2007

Oscar Wilde

I was not sure exactly what Wilde was trying to say in "Symphony in Yellow" on page 831. I read the foot note that said the title suggests Whistler's series of paintings called "symphonies" in various colors. I found it interesting that he chose yellow. I wonder if it is his favorite color. Maybe he chose yellow because of its brightness. Yellow is not my favorite color but I like it because it just pops. It is one of the those colors you can see a mile away. In the poem he mentions a yellow butterfly, yellow hay, and yellow leaves. He took the color yellow and applied it in the poem to things that are shades of that color. Imagine if he had chosen the color green. There are so many things in nature that are shades of green. I like the fact that he chose yellow because it is different and unique. He also mentions fog, elms, and jade. He used the idea of art and directed it toward the natural aesthetic around him. After I read the foot note, the title and content made sense.

1 comment:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Candice,

Short but adequate commentary on and exploration of Wilde's poem. I wish you had pursued these issues in more depth and detail, though.