Friday, June 29, 2007

World War I

"BLESS the HAIRDRESSER" was very amusing. First I thought it was interesting that the hairdresser is referred to as he. The stereotype is that women are hairdressers and the poem did not follow this. In the present, there are many male hairdressers. "He attacks Mother Nature for a small fee." This line was comical to me. I'm sure some people really have a mop of hair on their head that needs to be tamed. I guess that is why he mentions plowing through heads. "Scours chins and lips for threepence." This poem also reveals how much he charges for various services. I think that this particular hairdresser does women's and men's hair. He trims, tames wildness, and makes clean shapes. It really does take talent and patience to deal with the public in this capacity. Hair is a part of a person's appearance and most people are very serious about their appearance. The society we live in places so much importance on the way we look. However, I think this hairdresser can handle anything as he is described as an "expert correcting the grotesque anachronisms of our physique." What a superb way of saying he fixes hair. This poem makes you feel like you could go to this hairdresser without any anxiety about not be satisfied with his services.

2 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Candice,

Interesting take on a challenging text, although your angle on Blast seems a little idiosyncratic.

Caitlin said...

I wanted to read some other people's blogs on the section about WWI. I found your blog very interesting. I agree that "He Attacks mother nature for a small fee," is quite funny!

I thought you did an excellent job of interpreting the text and the phrases!